No longer trivial interest to spin doctors’
In a couple of months' time, Honiton will have probably the best rail service in its history with the introduction of an hourly rail service to Exeter and London Waterloo. It was five years ago that Honiton Town Council added its voice to that of other
In a couple of months' time, Honiton will have probably the best rail service in its history with the introduction of an hourly rail service to Exeter and London Waterloo.
It was five years ago that Honiton Town Council added its voice to that of other towns and councils to call for much needed improvements to rail services in East Devon. Together with others, we lobbied Network Rail and the Department of Transport to reinstall a stretch of double track to enable an improved service.
The new timetable being introduced in December is the result of that successful, combined lobbying and the acknowledgement by the Government and Network Rail that rail transport has a key part to play in our transport infrastructure.
However, we should not be content with an hourly service. In 2004 Devon County Council and Somerset County Council commissioned a joint report into possible improvements on the Exeter - Waterloo line.
The first one, an hourly service, will soon become reality. The second, a half hourly service between Axminster and Honiton to Exeter, has yet to be realised. This needs to happen.
Improved rail transport has a key role to play in both reducing carbon emissions and stimulating the economy and I will be asking Honiton Town Council to add its voice to the call for further improvements.
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 3 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 4 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 5 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Over 1K raised by Honiton concert for Ukraine
- 8 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
I will also be personally writing to the government minister responsible for rail, Andrew Adonis, a long-time rail enthusiast, and ask for his support for the additional service.
Labour Parliamentary Prospective Candidate
Tiverton & Honiton Constituency