Offwell residents fight to retain postman
Delivery office shake-up stuns villagers.
RESIDENTS in Offwell are up in arms after losing their regular postman.
Anthony (Tony) Rowe has been re-allocated to another postal round after a shake-up at Honiton delivery office.
A petition against the decision is currently being circulated around the village by residents Trevor and Susan Fry.
Susan said: “Everybody is upset that he is going, because he has done such a good job for years and years. We just want to show him how much we care. He is a friend to all and a vital member of the community, and his knowledge of the people is second to none.”
You may also want to watch:
Another resident, Dr Mike Hounsome, said: “Tony is an integral part of Offwell and he knows us all, and we all know and trust him.
“He takes part in village events and we really regard him as ‘one of us’. Why on earth should such a great guy, who is well loved in the village and knows the round intimately, be re-allocated, when he does the job perfectly?”
- 1 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 2 Thug jailed for violent bottle attack at Seaton Tesco
- 3 Dark day for Millwey Rise
- 4 Cafe boss bounces back after adapting to impact of virus
- 5 Wedding venue team goes extra mile for customers
- 6 Community group invites people to volunteers fayre
- 7 Benefit cheat 'too disabled to move' filmed shopping in Axminster
- 8 Flying start for the Axminster Tigers
- 9 Honiton u3a group tackles international art theft
- 10 Lottery millionaire helps support big beach clean-up
Mr Rowe said: “As always, the villagers of Offwell have been a fantastic support.
“It is a village of real community spirit and an example to other villages. I am proud to have served them and to have known them all.”
A spokeswoman for Royal Mail said: “We recently carried out a reorganisation of delivery rounds at Honiton delivery office and some customers may notice that a different postman, or woman, now delivers their mail. Whilst it’s always appreciated when our customers recognise the hard work of their postie, we would like to assure them that we have great team at Honiton who are all trained in the same way to maintain the standards our customers expect.”