PHOTOS: Old Honiton Rugby Club photos perish in container blaze
PUBLISHED: 15:05 19 March 2018 | UPDATED: 09:19 22 March 2018
Boxes of memorabilia belonging to Honiton Rugby Club have perished in a fire which broke out in a storage container this morning (Monday).
Fire crews from Honiton attended the scene in School Lane at just before midday and extinguished the fire using breathing apparatus and a jet.
Jerry Rice, secretary of the club, said the container housed two boxes of old photos of former teams and events, trestle tables, double-glazed windows which would be used for the club’s new extension, a large marquee with lights, and building supplies.
Three active freezers were also being stored in the container, which were destroyed in the blaze along with everything else.
Mr Rice said the container is ‘completely gutted’ and is now ‘drenched’ with water after firefighters tackled the blaze.
The club is in the process of undergoing a costly extension.
Mr Rice said: “This is the seventh incident we have had in connection with our club, and there seems to be no end of it.
“This is very sad – the whole point of this new build is to be a community project for people but then we have setbacks like this.
“We are funding this all ourselves, and we do not have any money.”
The club suffered several fire-related incidents last year - in June, a fascia sign and the club’s roof were both involved in separate blazes which Mr Rice thought were deliberately started.