Olympics ‘sting’ for nettle eating contest
Bottle Inn licensees forced to postpone the world championships until August 4 because of the London Games
Plans to stage the world stinging nettle eating championships at Marshwood later this month have been postponed – because of the Olympics.
Licensees George Thomas and Nigel Blake, who are working to re-open the village’s 16th century Bottle Inn, had hoped to hold the event there on July 21.
But the equipment they need to supply soft drinks is currently not available because suppliers are too busy installing it in other venues for the London Games.
Said Mr Thomas: “The date for the nettle competition is now is August 4.
You may also want to watch:
“This will give us time to get the bar open beforehand and up and running for a week.”
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 7 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 How would you feel about giving up your car?