Ottery prepares to light up for Christmas 2019
- Credit: Archant
Christmas cheer is aplenty in Ottery this week as the town prepares for Friday’s late-night shopping and lights switch-on.
The annual event will get under way from 4pm, with a range of activities planned, and the traditional torchlight parade will begin at 6.15pm from the church with the Christmas lights switched on shortly afterwards.
There will be a rolling road closure as the procession winds through Gold Street and drivers are asked to avoid Silver Street, Cornhill and Broad Street, between 6.15pm and 6.30pm.
Ottery Brass Band will be playing outside Downs Motors at 5.30pm with the church choir performing on the church steps.
Young visitors will be able to see Santa and his sleigh as he will arrive in town with the help of the town's Rotarians for the torchlight procession.
You may also want to watch:
The La La Choir will lead the lights switching on ceremony.
There is a children's treasure hunt with answers located around the shops.
- 1 Village pub landlord helps feed vulnerable members of community
- 2 Latest planning applications in East Devon
- 3 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 4 Property of the Week: The Manse, Seaton
- 5 Charity plant fair with plenty for gardeners and growers to enjoy
- 6 Keeping in time with the rest of the country
- 7 British Legion branch appeals for help to avoid closure
- 8 Town group marks national u3a day in style
- 9 Virtual handicap race for Axe Valley Runners
- 10 Virtual work experience programme for young people in region
Organisers said: "Remember the idea of the evening is for people to enjoy an hour or two in the town centre, bump into some old friends and maybe discover a local shop that you didn't know sold the perfect gift for someone special."