Ottery tar barrels explosion victim: “Keep tradition alive”
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the idiot who caused the blast.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the "idiot" who caused the blast.
Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned into terror when a "mindless moron" threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was feared his burns were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, doctors told Ian his burns are superficial and are hopeful he will make a full recovery.
You may also want to watch:
Ian today told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 3 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 4 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 5 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 6 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 7 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 8 Mr Music's motor is no van ordinaire
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching
"One of my biggest regrets has been not taking part in the barrels - I've never missed it. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald. .