Ottery tar barrels explosion victim: “Keep tradition alive”
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the idiot who caused the blast.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the "idiot" who caused the blast.
Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned into terror when a "mindless moron" threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was feared his burns were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, doctors told Ian his burns are superficial and are hopeful he will make a full recovery.
You may also want to watch:
Ian today told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on.
- 1 New independent store opens in town's high street
- 2 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 3 Community unites to back historic market town charter celebration
- 4 Come and join us at village fayre, say organisers
- 5 Pennies from heaven! Crowds prove it's still the hottest ticket in town
- 6 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 7 Amazing ultra challenges for Axe Valley Runners
- 8 Fantastic return for the Seaton Parkrun
- 9 Flower show is back after two-year break
- 10 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
"One of my biggest regrets has been not taking part in the barrels - I've never missed it. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald. .