Ottery tar barrels explosion victim: “Keep tradition alive”
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the idiot who caused the blast.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the "idiot" who caused the blast.
Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned into terror when a "mindless moron" threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was feared his burns were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, doctors told Ian his burns are superficial and are hopeful he will make a full recovery.
Ian today told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on.
- 1 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 4 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 5 Charity golf circus on the Honiton greens
- 6 UPDATE: Missing woman found after police appeal
- 7 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 8 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 There are troubling consequences for all of us in this real life satire
"One of my biggest regrets has been not taking part in the barrels - I've never missed it. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald. .