Ottery tar barrels explosion victim: “Keep tradition alive”
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the idiot who caused the blast.
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the "idiot" who caused the blast.
Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned into terror when a "mindless moron" threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was feared his burns were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, doctors told Ian his burns are superficial and are hopeful he will make a full recovery.
Ian today told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on.
- 1 Towns join forces to promote green tourism
- 2 Gittsham motorist 'so drunk he had to be carried out of car'
- 3 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 4 Axminster vehicle extravaganza hailed 'great day out'
- 5 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 6 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 7 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 8 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
- 9 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 10 Historic charter day back in Honiton this July
"One of my biggest regrets has been not taking part in the barrels - I've never missed it. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald. .