Panto fairy’s smokey entrance sets fire bells ringing
Axminster mayor was amongst the audience evacuated when stage pyrotechnics set off the smoke detectors
AXMINSTER Mayor Andrew Moulding found himself in the middle of a real-life pantomime when he was a guest at a production of Beauty and Beast in Chard recently
The First Citizen and his wife had checked in their coats and were seated comfortably when they were told the Dame was ill and a member of Chard Amateur Theatre Society (CATS) would have to read out the part for the entire performance.
Then, things got much worse.
During the opening scenes the fairy arrived on stage, accompanied by a flash and puff of smoke, which set off the fire alarms and the packed hall – which included youth groups and civic VIPs - had to be evacuated.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Moulding said they had to stand coatless outside in the freezing cold until the building was declared safe again.
“We had a chilly time in the car park,” he said.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 8 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
Chard Mayor Cathie Morrison saw the bright side. She said at least it proved the alarms were fully operational and their fire evacuation procedures worked well.