Paramedic Terry aims to survive the Arctic
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime. Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime.
Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
He will set off from Heathrow, bound for northern Sweden, on March 4 next year before taking part in a three-day survival course.
Mr Hawkins' first four days will be spent acclimatising.
You may also want to watch:
"I am always in training for something. I try to keep myself fit," he said.
"I like to set myself challenges. This will be a fun one. ELF is a local charity that does so much good work, but it has also piloted new treatment methods which have gone nationwide.
- 1 Millwey Rise 2 Pinhoe 0
- 2 Talks to find future for historic farmhouse ravaged by fire
- 3 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 4 Jack's back with a fresh emphasis on community
- 5 Property of the Week: The Grove, Colyton
- 6 Honiton Stingrays looking for new swimmers
- 7 Flitch Success for the Armstrong family
- 8 Tourist attraction scoops prestigious award for 'tramathon' live event
- 9 Independent family store embraces future with retailing first
- 10 The importance of renewable energy
"We all know people who are affected by blood disorders. It's a good charity that sometimes gets overlooked."
Mr Hawkins works for the South Western Ambulance Service and has been a paramedic for seven years. He is married to Helen and the couple have two children, James, 14, and Georgia, 11.
A former rugby player, he is now a keen cyclist.
Mr Hawkins' fund-raising target for the challenge is �2,500. On October 9 a charity karaoke night will be held at Feniton Sports and Social Club. The fun will start from 7.30pm.
Further fund-raising events are planned. Watch this space.
However, you can sponsor Mr Hawkins by calling him on 07794718755 or visit www.justgiving.com/terryhawkins