Paramedic Terry aims to survive the Arctic
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime. Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime.
Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
He will set off from Heathrow, bound for northern Sweden, on March 4 next year before taking part in a three-day survival course.
Mr Hawkins' first four days will be spent acclimatising.
You may also want to watch:
"I am always in training for something. I try to keep myself fit," he said.
"I like to set myself challenges. This will be a fun one. ELF is a local charity that does so much good work, but it has also piloted new treatment methods which have gone nationwide.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
"We all know people who are affected by blood disorders. It's a good charity that sometimes gets overlooked."
Mr Hawkins works for the South Western Ambulance Service and has been a paramedic for seven years. He is married to Helen and the couple have two children, James, 14, and Georgia, 11.
A former rugby player, he is now a keen cyclist.
Mr Hawkins' fund-raising target for the challenge is �2,500. On October 9 a charity karaoke night will be held at Feniton Sports and Social Club. The fun will start from 7.30pm.
Further fund-raising events are planned. Watch this space.
However, you can sponsor Mr Hawkins by calling him on 07794718755 or visit www.justgiving.com/terryhawkins