Paramedic Terry aims to survive the Arctic
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime. Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
PARAMEDIC Terry Hawkins is preparing to embark on the challenge of a lifetime.
Mr Hawkins, 42, of Feniton, is taking part in the Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) Arctic Challenge.
He will set off from Heathrow, bound for northern Sweden, on March 4 next year before taking part in a three-day survival course.
Mr Hawkins' first four days will be spent acclimatising.
You may also want to watch:
"I am always in training for something. I try to keep myself fit," he said.
"I like to set myself challenges. This will be a fun one. ELF is a local charity that does so much good work, but it has also piloted new treatment methods which have gone nationwide.
- 1 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 2 Town's Market Charter Day event is set to be biggest, say organisers
- 3 Hundreds of sites are earmarked for new development
- 4 Property of the Week: Otter Mill
- 5 800th anniversary makes town's celebrated event a hot topic this year
- 6 Hot form in the heat at Axe Cliff
- 7 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 8 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 9 He was going, going gone... but now TV auctioneer is back
- 10 It's time to get on your bike for the Hospiscare Tour de Devon
"We all know people who are affected by blood disorders. It's a good charity that sometimes gets overlooked."
Mr Hawkins works for the South Western Ambulance Service and has been a paramedic for seven years. He is married to Helen and the couple have two children, James, 14, and Georgia, 11.
A former rugby player, he is now a keen cyclist.
Mr Hawkins' fund-raising target for the challenge is �2,500. On October 9 a charity karaoke night will be held at Feniton Sports and Social Club. The fun will start from 7.30pm.
Further fund-raising events are planned. Watch this space.
However, you can sponsor Mr Hawkins by calling him on 07794718755 or visit www.justgiving.com/terryhawkins