Parking charges all add up for EDDC
Car parking issues discussed by Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Car parking charges continue to account for a significant chunk of East Devon District Council’s income.
The new chairman of the district council, Councillor Graham Godbeer, discussed the issue of car parking and charges with members of Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce and Industry at its monthly meeting last month.
He said: “Car parking is an issue in every town. Axminster is terribly short of car parks. West Street car park is full five days a week, and so on, but of course people say remove car parking charges.
“The charges are 30 per cent of our income at East Devon District Council.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Godbeer explained that the council tax collected is distributed between Devon County Council as well as the fire and police authority and only eight per cent was retained by the district council itself.
He added: “Fees and charges and car parks especially amount to 30 per cent of our income.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 4 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 5 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 6 Roadmap out of pandemic cheers Charter Day organisers
- 7 Have your say on future development of village
- 8 Good to see the Chiefs' stars get their Lions' share for coveted tour
- 9 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 10 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
“People that say car parking should be free should tell us how to make up that 30 per cent.”
Cllr Godbeer said this would be difficult to do as the money made from the car parking charges would have to be made by charging for something else.
Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce has been pushing for reduced parking charges and a pay on exit barrier system to be introduced in the town.