Pensioners face rising fuel costs
Concerns about how pensioners will cope financially.
Well done to Katy Griffin for excellent advice contained in her article on pensioners facing winter.
Katy notes that average fuel bills are a staggering �1,239!
We should add, fuel bills are expected to rise steeply- leaving even more pensioners, one in five of whom live below the official poverty level, at risk of fuel poverty.
Even a one per cent rise puts a further 40,000 in fuel poverty. Last year, there was a dramatic rise in the winter death rate, from 25,300 to 36,700.
You may also want to watch:
Despite denials of cuts in pensioners’ fuel allowances, no promises have been given for next year. We understand funding for the Warm Front campaign will be cut by �10m over the next two years.
The bankers caused the present financial crisis and pensioners and working people should not have to reward them for their actions.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 3 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 4 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 7 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 8 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 9 Rail users can enjoy 'moor' views as Dartmoor Line reopens after 50 years
- 10 Honiton bowlers move indoors with success