Pensioners face rising fuel costs
Concerns about how pensioners will cope financially.
Well done to Katy Griffin for excellent advice contained in her article on pensioners facing winter.
Katy notes that average fuel bills are a staggering �1,239!
We should add, fuel bills are expected to rise steeply- leaving even more pensioners, one in five of whom live below the official poverty level, at risk of fuel poverty.
Even a one per cent rise puts a further 40,000 in fuel poverty. Last year, there was a dramatic rise in the winter death rate, from 25,300 to 36,700.
You may also want to watch:
Despite denials of cuts in pensioners’ fuel allowances, no promises have been given for next year. We understand funding for the Warm Front campaign will be cut by �10m over the next two years.
The bankers caused the present financial crisis and pensioners and working people should not have to reward them for their actions.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend