Plans for outdoor barbecues to be installed in Cranbrook before Easter 2019 - but council is looking to share the cost
PUBLISHED: 10:57 07 December 2018 | UPDATED: 10:43 11 December 2018
© 2009 Merle Prosofsky
New outdoor barbecues could be installed in Cranbrook's country park as early as April next year.
New outdoor barbecues could be installed in Cranbrook’s country park as early as April next year.
Town councillors unanimously approved a proposal to install the equipment between the two veteran trees and existing picnic tables sited within the park.
Similar barbecues have already been installed in other towns across East Devon and have been a popular addition with users.
Speaking at Cranbrook Town Council’s meeting last Monday, chair Councillor Kevin Blakey said: “These things are rock solid - they are the same ones that have been in Budleigh and Seaton for years and they reckon they have a life of ten years. Although they are expensive, they are very well-built and will last.”
Cllr Barry Rogers said the area the barbecues would be installed in had flooded previously, so their specific location had to be taken into account. But Cllr Blakey said: “The idea is that they would be located close to the picnic tables that are already there.
“You are not going to be able to, anywhere in the country park actually, have it completely flood-proof and of course, it does rain as well.
“These things are made of steel - we know that they rust but they only get surface rust. Their structural integrity really hangs in there.
“The proposal is we start with two and give it a summer and see how it goes. If there is a big demand for more in the future, we can look at it.”
Cllr Les Bayliss queried whether the two barbecues could be placed apart from each other - one by the veteran trees and the other by the town orchard.
Cllr Blakey said discussions were favourable towards having the barbecues at the same place, adding: “Where this has been done in the past, when you get large parties turning up, they can use two at one time - or they can be used separately.”
Cllr Matt Osborn said: “If you are in the flats down the front bit there, this is the ideal opportunity for you to get out there and do a bit of outdoor grilling.”
Cllr Blakey said the barbecues would be sited at least 50 metres away from the closest flats, so residents would not face any smell issues.
Cllr Kim Bloxham said the barbecues would cost £1,800 the council had not budgeted for, and proposed the authority explore the option of securing Locality grant funding to assist with their purchase, which was agreed.