Police believe Shute Garage blaze may have been started deliberately
A fire st Shute Garage, near Axminster, is being treated as suspicious by police
POLICE believe a major fire at Shute Garage, near Axminster, last night (Wednesday, November 3) may have been started deliberately.
The blaze, at around 10.30pm, destroyed a large static caravan, a car and a wooden storage shed in a gated compound opposite the car sales area, alongside the A35.
The fire also brought down overheads power lines, which blacked out some eight homes and two local businesses, including the Little Chef restaurant, before a generator was brought in to restore supplies.
Fire fighters from Axminster, Seaton and Colyton fought the blaze, using breathing apparatus and thermal imaging equipment.
You may also want to watch:
Police crime scene investigators together with fire investigators are currently working at the scene.
A spokesman for the garage declined to comment in detail, other than to say “bonfire night seems to have come early.”
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 6 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 William conquers 200 books
- 9 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 10 Half-year property sales are twice the five-year average
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 08452 777444 quoting refenece 1188 031110