Police believe Shute Garage blaze may have been started deliberately
A fire st Shute Garage, near Axminster, is being treated as suspicious by police
POLICE believe a major fire at Shute Garage, near Axminster, last night (Wednesday, November 3) may have been started deliberately.
The blaze, at around 10.30pm, destroyed a large static caravan, a car and a wooden storage shed in a gated compound opposite the car sales area, alongside the A35.
The fire also brought down overheads power lines, which blacked out some eight homes and two local businesses, including the Little Chef restaurant, before a generator was brought in to restore supplies.
Fire fighters from Axminster, Seaton and Colyton fought the blaze, using breathing apparatus and thermal imaging equipment.
You may also want to watch:
Police crime scene investigators together with fire investigators are currently working at the scene.
A spokesman for the garage declined to comment in detail, other than to say “bonfire night seems to have come early.”
- 1 Phil Twiss retains Devon County Council seat
- 2 Ian Hall retains Devon County Council seat
- 3 Marcus Hartnell wins Seaton and Colyton election
- 4 New homes and a new town centre as Cranbrook embraces the future
- 5 Children get a taste of life in a forest school - and enjoy the benefits
- 6 Ian Chubb retains Whimple and Blackdown seat
- 7 Hollie's happy to be in the Little Shop of vouchers
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 Netball club members win superstar backing for 'trip' to Australia
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 08452 777444 quoting refenece 1188 031110