Police believe Shute Garage blaze may have been started deliberately
A fire st Shute Garage, near Axminster, is being treated as suspicious by police
POLICE believe a major fire at Shute Garage, near Axminster, last night (Wednesday, November 3) may have been started deliberately.
The blaze, at around 10.30pm, destroyed a large static caravan, a car and a wooden storage shed in a gated compound opposite the car sales area, alongside the A35.
The fire also brought down overheads power lines, which blacked out some eight homes and two local businesses, including the Little Chef restaurant, before a generator was brought in to restore supplies.
Fire fighters from Axminster, Seaton and Colyton fought the blaze, using breathing apparatus and thermal imaging equipment.
You may also want to watch:
Police crime scene investigators together with fire investigators are currently working at the scene.
A spokesman for the garage declined to comment in detail, other than to say “bonfire night seems to have come early.”
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 7 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 08452 777444 quoting refenece 1188 031110