Police get tough on Colyton vandals
- Credit: Archant
Officers are ‘disappointed’ that some local youths think it acceptable to cause damage in their town
Police have launched a get tough campaign against young vandals in Colyton.
It comes after several recent “mindless” attacks on property in the town.
Between February 20 and 21 a litter bin in St Andrew’s Square was damaged, possibly by a lit firework; fencing was damaged at the Peace Memorial playing fields and a small fire was started in the litter bin at Hillhead causing minor damage.
Neighbourhood beat officer Pc Steve Speariett said “I was very disappointed to see that a number of local youths in Colyton decided it was acceptable to cause damage in the area that they live in.
You may also want to watch:
“The neighbourhood team have tried to get to know most of the youngsters on a personal level and we therefore feel let down by this mindless action.
“It is our intention to ensure those identified as responsible will have to conduct community work in the area in which they have shown little respect for.”
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
PC Speariett said a number of local youths had been identified as being responsible for causing some of the damage and are in the process of being dealt with.
He said police were also concerned about the number of thefts from cars left unattended in car parks across the Seaton rural policing division.
He said: “We can only encourage motorist to leave all valuables at home or to take them with them.”