Police warning over scam letter
Legacy hoax fraudsters continue to target residents in Seaton and Colyton
POLICE have issued a fresh alert about a scam letter circulating in the Seaton and Colyton area.
It tells recipients that they are the relative of someone who has recently died and that they have been left a large sum of money.
The letter may be from someone claiming to be from Hong Kong or China.
A spokesman for Seaton police warned: “This is a scam and we are advising residents who receive this letter to ignore it and not to respond to it.
“If they do respond, even to say no, it is very likely that their details will be passed to other fraudsters who will target them.
Meanwhile reported crime in Seaton continues to rise, with 13 incidents in April. These included three thefts, three assaults and three public order offences,
- 1 Proposals for new solar farm off land near A30
- 2 Dog show to raise vital funds for Devon Air Ambulance and Blue Cross
- 3 Dalwood country fair this August
- 4 Man attacks seagull with cricket bat in Lyme Regis
- 5 Property of the Week: Maroc House, Lyme Regis
- 6 Dracula at Seaton - something to sink your teeth into this summer
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Man released on bail after Dunkeswell accident
- 9 Green flag award for four East Devon parks
- 10 Tigers roar in brilliant start to the football season
A spokesman said: “Despite the rise in reported crime over recent months, this is the lowest April figure for a number of years and is well below the monthly average figure of 24 for April since 2004.
“For the year to date, we have had 82 reported crimes, compared to an average of 96 for the same period since 2004.”
The Seaton neighbourhood beat team is holding surgeries on Monday, May 21, in The Square, Seaton, between 10am and 11am and in Jubilee Gardens, Beer, between 12.30pm and 13.30pm.
Members of Seaton Town Council and the East Devon District Council animal warden will be attending the surgery in Seaton, which, in the event of bad weather, the Seaton surgery will be held in the Community Resource Centre, Fore Street.