Popularity of Honiton Show established in the early years
PUBLISHED: 07:00 30 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:08 02 August 2017
The Honiton Show has been one of the most popular events held in East Devon since 1890, when it was first put on in a field on Bramble Hill.
At the time, Queen Victoria was 54 years into her reign.
In those days, the Honiton and District Agricultural Association was known as the Honiton Union District Store Cattle and Poultry Association.
The association’s president, Viscount Sidmouth, oversaw the first show on October 2 – with attendees paying one shilling to attend the event and enjoy a grand after-show dinner at the Dolphin Hotel.
In 1920, the show moved to Dowell Street, with the association undergoing another name change – now known as Honiton Union District Agricultural Association.
After the World War Two, in 1946, the classes included labourers’ long service awards and judging of the hunting hounds.
Due to the rationing effect caused by the war, there were very few dairy cattle entries and poultry classes disappeared.
In 1948, the introduction of The West of England Hound Show came to the event.
This was the beginning of what is now one of the largest and most prestigious hound shows in the country.
The association, which is now known as Honiton and District Agricultural Association, celebrated its centenary in 1990 as a limited company.