Porkies does the double in top sausage competition
- Credit: Archant
Butcher Laurie Spencer claimed third place for his basic pork sausage recipe and a Gold Award for his smoked bacon and cranberry creation when he entered them in British Sausage Week 2016.
A Honiton butcher is celebrating a double win in a prestigious competition celebrating everything about sausages.
Laurie Spencer, of Porkies, claimed third place for his basic pork sausage recipe when it was entered in the regional finals of British Sausage Week 2016.
He also scooped a Gold Award in the ‘innovative pork sausage’ category of the same competition for his festive smoked bacon and cranberry sausages.
Dad-of-one Laurie said: “This is the first time I’ve entered into this competition and to secure third place is both exciting and rewarding.”
You may also want to watch:
Although Laurie’s pork sausage recipe is a closely-guarded secret, he revealed the flavour of the sausage is brought out from a variety of spices.
He added that the casings are also natural - unlike most which are made with collagen.
- 1 'Unmissable' music show a treat for Beehive audiences
- 2 PM had to be cautious on next step, says MP
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 Axminster bowlers travel to Seaton for a challenging fixture
- 8 Royal College of Midwives calls for long-term investment in NHS staff
- 9 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 10 Couple support hospital that cared for tragic grandson
Laurie said that while the creation of his recipe hit a few hiccups along the way, getting it right has led to it becoming a best-seller at his butchers shop.
The success in the competition has also given Laurie more ideas for the future, as he looks to continue creating innovative flavours.
“I’ve definitely got more ideas in the mixer,” he said.
“This has given me the drive to come up with more flavour creations and do something totally different - I want to come up with something completely different.”
Laurie said he is currently working on an idea he described as ‘completely out of the box’, but it will remain a closely-guarded secret until it’s ready.
Porkies in based in New Street, Honiton.