Post-mortem fails to rule out murder, Lyme Regis

PUBLISHED: 12:13 05 May 2010 | UPDATED: 01:13 16 June 2010

Staples Terrace, Lyme Regis, on Monday.

Staples Terrace, Lyme Regis, on Monday.

Copyright Archant Ltd

POLICE have not ruled out murder following the sudden death of a Lyme Regis war hero in his own home.

POLICE have not ruled out murder following the sudden death of a Lyme Regis war hero in his own home.

A post-mortem was carried out on a man believed to be in his 80s, known locally as Bill Kenely, yesterday evening (Tuesday, May 5). The pathologist ruled he had died of wounds - with the cause unexplained.

Emergency services were called to an address at Staples Terrace at 8.20am on Monday after the body of the pensioner was found by a close male friend.

Police said they were still treating the death as 'unexplained' but local residents said they believed he had been stabbed.

Mr Kenely was pronounced dead in his bungalow at 8.42am. A major investigation is now underway.

A police spokesman said: "Police are pursuing active lines of enquiry into this matter."

Inspector Caroline Naughton, from Bridport police, said: "An incident such as this is very unusual in the Lyme Regis area.

"There's no sign of forced entry at the man's home, and we understand that nothing is believed to have been stolen.

"We are still trying to locate the man's next of kin and I should stress that formal identification has yet to take place."

There have been no arrests and police are calling for anyone with information to contact them on (01305) 222 222.

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists