Proposed new register office will be open full-time
But registrar will require one room, not two, in the Beehive Community Centre.
Although only one room, not two, is now required by the registrar in the proposed Beehive Community Centre, the new register office aims to be open full-time.
Honiton Town Council, which is leading the �2.2million project, has yet to decide what to do with the second room, earmarked for the registrar.
Councillor Nick Cornwell, the chairman of Honiton Town Council’s policy committee, told a meeting last week that no firm decisions had been made regarding the second office no longer required by the registrar. He revealed the second room had been axed due to cutbacks at County Hall.
A spokeswoman for Devon County Council told the Midweek Herald: “The register office in Honiton is still located at the East Devon Business Centre offering longer opening hours of 9am to 5pm by appointment only.
You may also want to watch:
“We have expressed an interest in relocating to the Beehive Community Centre because we could use the council chamber for ceremonies as we don’t currently have a ceremony room in Honiton.
“There would be no reduction in service. Our original requirement was two rooms for part-time hours, but now it is one room full time.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Musical treat raises £800 for Afghanistan charity appeal
- 9 Cranbrook prevail in local derby
- 10 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
Town clerk Lyn Hargood said: “The registrar has confirmed the service will be moving in but, due to cutbacks at Devon County Council, will only need one office, not two.
“We have yet to decide whether to release the other office as another training/meeting room or whether to find another tenant.”