Public needs to know more
REGARDING?East Devon District Council s public survey on budget cuts, is it just me or are we being shoehorned into picking between cuts in valued front-line services while we lack any numbers at all about what else our money is spent on?
REGARDING?East Devon District Council's public survey on budget cuts, is it just me or are we being shoehorned into picking between cuts in valued front-line services while we lack any numbers at all about what else our money is spent on?
The Council clearly wants any cuts to be noticed and to hurt the public so that we sympathise with the difficult job they have to do and, perhaps, blame the Government for reduced funding.
But, without knowledge of the budgets for all services, and the bureaucracy, how can we possibly respond intelligently to financial decision making?
Instead of cherry picking citizens' services for cuts, perhaps EDDC could show an example and start by reducing members' allowances, the back of house IT budget and other "costs of democracy".
You may also want to watch:
At least, if they made a start there, we might feel a little more confident that this isn't just another bit of electioneering.
- 1 Half-year property sales are twice the five-year average
- 2 UK’s fastest hillclimb drivers heading to Honiton
- 3 Yarty Party Time - and what a success
- 4 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 7 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 8 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 9 The mystery of the meaning behind Honiton's town seal
- 10 Great gran takes plunge at Lyme Regis