Queen praises group of Honiton youths
Teenagers give pool room at Royal British Legion Club a new look.
MARILYN Monroe, Elvis and Audrey Hepburn have joined the Queen on walls at Honiton Royal British Legion Club – and Her Majesty is amused.
Officials at Buckingham Palace have written to young club members on behalf of the Queen to praise their efforts to give part of the club a retro, yet young, new look.
Now the letter has been framed and hung next to a pop art painting of the Queen.
Enthusiastic young club members have given up three weeks of the summer to completely redecorate the pool room.
“They wanted to make it known that it is not only old people who go to the Royal British Legion,” said club steward Vince Palmer.
“We thought it needed a young feel,” Emily Roberts, 19, told the Midweek Herald.
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 3 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 4 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 5 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Over 1K raised by Honiton concert for Ukraine
- 8 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
Hayley Doyle, also 19, said: “It was a collaborative idea. We wanted a retro, but young, look.”
David Bowie and Freddie Mercury complete the line-up of famous faces on the pool room’s walls.
New flooring has been laid and old vinyl records grace the ceiling.
The pool room’s original wallpaper was stripped by Chip Martin, Scott Horn, Gemma Needham, Claire Watson and Jamie Martin.
Martin Moore carried out the wood work.
Decorators were Hayley Doyle, Liam Sparks, Emily Roberts, Jodie Stimson, Vince Palmer, Sami Slater, Dan Spiller and Nathan Harris.
Honiton Royal British Legion Club was built by members around a former Nissan hut.
The building was officially opened in 1966.