Recycling lessons have been learned
PUBLISHED: 21:48 22 April 2009 | UPDATED: 23:24 15 June 2010
COUNCILLORS said lessons had been learned from the new recycling scheme which started in Axminster, Seaton, Colyton, Musbury and Beer.
COUNCILLORS said lessons had been learned from the new recycling scheme - which started in Axminster, Seaton, Colyton, Musbury and Beer.Phase One of East Devon District Council's Recycling and Refuse Service in Axminster was initially blighted with a shortage of bins and missed collections.But a survey showed Axminster residents were satisfied with the new food waste scheme.Councillor Graham Godbeer, for the Coly Valley, noted during the scrutiny committee meeting on Wednesday, April 8, that there had been problems with deliveries in the town - and said it was partly due to lack of familiarity with the area.He suggested residents should have more input in the scheme to ensure delivery first time to all houses.However, Councillor Margaret Rogers, for Seaton Coastal, felt the mistakes were indicative of the scheme's popularity.She said: "In a way we are victims of our own success. People want to get on with the job and, of course, we have to provide facilities for them."Councillor Philip Skinner agreed there had been difficulties. He said: "There are a lot of lessons to be learned and they have been."Councillor David Cox, portfolio holder for StreetScene, said: "We did have a number of issues - such as the difficulty in finding properties and the number of long-standing complaints where some properties were missed several times."He said the number of non-collections had now been significantly reduced - but that they would not be complacent.But, he warned, they would face similar problems when the next phases start.He said: "Don't be surprised that there will be a rise in missed collections when we start again."In surveys carried out last year for 1,100 properties in the Axminster area, there was a 78 per cent participation rate. Ninety eight per cent of respondents said they were satisfied or very satisfied with the new food waste scheme. The scheme is likely to be launched in Honiton and the Blackdown Hills in 2010.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.