Reduce the risk of fires in the home

PUBLISHED: 16:26 25 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:27 25 April 2013

�

Archant

'Keep mirrors and glass out of the sun's rays to avoid fires in the home,' say Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

With sunshine forecast over the next few days Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to keep glass and mirrors out of the sun’s rays.

The fire service says it responds to a number of incidents at this time year where mirrored or glass items close to windows may re-focus the sun’s rays resulting on nearby items such as curtains being set alight.

Paul Bray, the community safety protection manager for Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Many people do not realise the dangers of leaving glass objects too close to windows.

“Anything that can concentrate the sun’s ray should be moved away from the window to reduce the risk of fire breaking out, especially where the sun can shine directly into the room.”

He added: “I have personally attended two fires caused by make-up mirrors, positioned on dressers, in bedrooms. One of these fires occurred in the early morning, with the sun shining through a south-easterly facing window, and the other occurred in the early evening, with the sun shining through a south westerly facing window. Both days were bright and sunny, but not hot.

He added: “If any of your rooms are penetrated by bright sunlight, especially at this time of year, carry out a check to make sure any glass objects cannot re-focus the sunlight to create a fire.

“Now would also be a good time to discuss your fire procedures with the rest of your family, fit or check your smoke alarm is working, and put into practice a simple routine of shutting internal doors, not only as part of a bedtime routine - but also whenever you leave your home unattended, as even a light internal door will prevent or reduce smoke and heat damage to a rooms contents.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists