Residents’ association to expand catchment area
Issues affecting Honiton mean residents need an extra voice claims chairman.
HONITON’S most vocal residents’ association is to expand its catchment area to include every voter in St Paul’s ward.
Issues affecting the wider community, including the introduction of on-street parking fees in High Street, prompted the Northcote Lane Area Residents’ Association to make the expansion move.
Ken Sherman, 77, who has been chairman of the association for the past nine years, said: “I think the residents of Honiton need an extra voice.
“What is being proposed for the High Street is ludicrous and, in the first instance, the association is expanding to cover St Paul’s ward.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sherman, a retired psychiatric nurse, was a vociferous supporter of the expansion plan when it was put to association members at their annual meeting.
“I would describe myself as a pensioner who wants to see the best for Honiton,” he told the Midweek Herald.
- 1 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 2 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 3 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 4 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 5 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 6 William conquers 200 books
- 7 Enjoy spectacular visual art exhibition at town's Thelma Hulbert Gallery
- 8 What’s in a town crest - mermaids, plants pregnant woman or all three?
- 9 Half-year property sales are twice the five-year average
- 10 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
The association is supporting chamber of commerce proposals for a new pay on exit system of charging at Lace Walk car park and wants street cleaning in Honiton improved.
Policing levels, consumption of alcohol in public places and concerns about Honiton Town Council’s ability to fully represent the needs of residents are all on the association’s agenda.
If you would like to join the association, contact Mr Sherman at 11 Northcote Lane.