Scramble for 2010 secondary school places
MORE than a fifth of Devon families have already applied for a secondary school place for their child next year – just days after applications opened.
MORE than a fifth of Devon families have already applied for a secondary school place for their child next year - just days after applications opened.
Applications for a secondary school place for September 2010 opened at the start of this month.
By Friday (Sep 4) 21.4 per cent of the families eligible to apply had already done so on-line - well up on previous years.
Applications close on October 16, 2009 and the allocations will be available from March 1, 2010.
Parents of children who are now in Year 6 in a Devon primary school have been sent a letter explaining how they can apply for a secondary place.
Parents can make their application online at www.devon.gov.uk/admissionsonline
- 1 Devon model railway manufacturer expands factory space to keep up with demand
- 2 Mum-to-be's relaxing holiday ends in baby being delivered at Devon resort
- 3 Campsite bid for farm to boost business
- 4 New homes released for sale in Seaton with help available for first time buyers
- 5 Five-year-old girl dies after road accident near Honiton
- 6 'A new era, and a new beginning for Honiton Town Council'
- 7 Careless charity shop donors are costing Devon Air Ambulance money
- 8 Information sought on fly-tipping incident in Honiton
- 9 Honiton slip to home defeat against brilliant Bovey
- 10 New £60,000 funding for Honiton play park
People who do not want to apply online can contact the Education Helpline on 0845 155 1019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Devon's Cabinet Member for Schools and Skills, Christine Channon, said: "Online admissions is a convenient and time saving method of applying for a school place.
"Although parents may still apply in writing, there are many benefits to applying online.