Seaton Library friends group appeals for more help
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The flourishing Friends of Seaton Library group is appealing for more volunteers to help run its expanding programme of events.
Dubbed FoSeL for short, the organisation is a band of volunteers which supports the library by fundraising for extras and helping out at events like the recent Summer Reading Challenge.
Thanks to the efforts of FoSeL members and the generosity of the local community, Seaton library now runs a LEGO club for children of primary school age between 11.30am and 12.30pm, every Saturday morning at the library. The club is very popular and there is no need to book – ‘just pop in and let your imagination take flight,’ say the organisers.
Meanwhile, FoSeL is keen to stress that it always needs more members.
Chairman Jill Cavell said: “You can join by popping into the library and paying just £1 for a year’s membership and you can also renew your membership this way – just speak to a member of staff.
You may also want to watch:
“There are no obligations once you’ve joined, but new committee members are desperately needed as are extra helping hands at our events. Helping out just once a year makes a great deal of difference to FoSeL’s success.”
Anyone interested in joining the committee is asked to please contact Jill Cavell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give their telephone contact details to a member of library staff so that she can get in touch.
- 1 Village pub landlord helps feed vulnerable members of community
- 2 Latest planning applications in East Devon
- 3 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 4 Property of the Week: The Manse, Seaton
- 5 Charity plant fair with plenty for gardeners and growers to enjoy
- 6 Keeping in time with the rest of the country
- 7 British Legion branch appeals for help to avoid closure
- 8 Virtual handicap race for Axe Valley Runners
- 9 Town group marks national u3a day in style
- 10 Virtual work experience programme for young people in region
The next major activity FoSeL plans is a fun LEGO building competition for adults on Saturday, November 5.
The contest, open to people over 18, will take place in the library in Queen Street, Seaton, from 10.30am until 12.30pm and marks the start of Devon Libraries’ ‘Active Life, Active Mind’ campaign which will run throughout November.
The Friends of Seaton Library will be running a refreshment stall at the event where people can buy drinks and homemade cakes.
To enter, competitors should contact Seaton library to reserve a place, either in person or by phone on 01297 21832 or email at email@example.com
The entry fee is 50p per person and there will be a small prize which will be awarded to the person whose construction, in the opinion of the organising committee members, best reflects Devon Libraries’ theme, ‘Active Life, Active Mind’.