Seaton pensioner is UK Internet champion
David named Britain’s top ‘silver surfer’
A SEATON pensioner was today named Britain’s top “silver surfer”.
David Howe, 70, beat off tough competition to win the title of Age UK Internet Champion.
The initiative, supported by BT, invited people over 55 to nominate themselves to become a “Champion” for a year, helping Age UK to advocate the use of the Internet to peers.
Mr Howe will work with the charity to help show the 6 million people over 65 who have never used the Internet that they, too, can enjoy the many benefits it has to offer – such as keeping in touch with friends and family and making savings online.
He will carry out the role with Margaret Goodwin, 64, from Henley-on-Thames, who shares the title.
The final took place at the Post Office Tower in London but due to mobility problems Mr Howe took part via video link from an Exeter hotel.
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 3 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 4 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 5 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Over 1K raised by Honiton concert for Ukraine
- 8 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
The theme of this year’s contest was “how the Internet changed my life” and nominees were asked to share the life-changing benefits they have gained from being online.
Mr Howe suffers from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and is an IT volunteer trainer at Age UK Devon’s centre in Seaton, helping people in later life to get online.
He said: “I am over the moon to be the new Internet Champion. When I applied I never thought I would make it to the final, never mind win the competition. I can’t wait to work with Age UK to help reach others who may be reticent about using a computer and the Internet.”