Seaton’s community spirit praised after �5,000 new seats appeal
Resort’s phenominal support enables 250 comfy chairs to be bought for the town hall
SEATON has been told to stand up and take a bow – after raising �5,000 for new town hall seats.
The successful fund raising initiative, launched by Seaton’s Voice just a few months ago, has been declared a credit to the resort.
Spokeswoman Carol Manley said: “It has been a massive community effort and we have had help from people of all ages across the area.
Groups have bought blocks of chairs while individuals have made donations towards the �21 cost of a single seat.
You may also want to watch:
“This shows the true community spirit of Seaton instead of the negativity you read about. I would challenge anyone to show me a community across the land who could pull this together.”
Mrs Manley also had a special work of praise for two Voice members – Barbara Dearden-Potter and Mary Bowles.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 4 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 5 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 6 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 7 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 8 Sidmouth and Ottery hockey stung by Hornets
- 9 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
She said: “They have been supporting the town hall for 45 and 23 years respectively – an example of how the community have been using it – and without them we would not have had a town hall to rescue.”
The 250 new, padded, chairs replace the old plastic ones and were supplied at cost price by Roger Woolland of Lyme Bay Auctions.