Seaton’s new town clerk is named

Tony Le Riche is a family man with a wealth of local government experience

AN experienced local government administrator has been named Seaton’s new town clerk.

Tony Le Riche has been appointed the full time successor to David Mears, following his resignation in May.

Currently clerk to Lympstone Parish Council, he will take up his duties in the next couple of weeks.

Mayor Peter Burrows said they were delighted he was joining them.

“The town council look forward to working with Mr Le Riche during this exciting period of change, development and improvement in Seaton,” he said.

Originally from Telford, in Shropshire, Mr Le Riche has been married to Wendy for 36 years and the couple have three grown-up children – including Peter, who was a former editor of the Midweek Herald.

Most Read

He had a successful career in local government for 20 years before moving to Exmouth to live on the coast.

For six years he ran his own delicatessen shop before selling up and taking on the post of town clerk at Newtown, in Powys. This started a new career with local councils which saw him move to successively larger and busier councils before being offered the post of clerk to the Chapter of Exeter Cathedral, which he held for seven years, until March, when he was made redundant.

Mr Le Riche, who has been clerk to Lympstone Parish Council for seven-and-a-half years told The Herald: “ I thoroughly enjoy this kind of work and so I am very pleased to be taking up the post of clerk to Seaton Town Council.”

Outside of work, Mr Le Riche plays badminton, uses a Leisure centre gym and pool, enjoys walks along the coastal path and holidaying and travelling. His wife works in a local primary school, where she specialises in behaviour support.

* The town council has been without a clerk for some weeks.

Mr Mears was suspended in February, pending an investigation - the details of which were never revealed.

He subsequently resigned his post.

Former town clerk Philip Higginson stepped in to hold the fort but in July he, too, was forced to resign for health reasons.