Seaton takes control of its town hall
- Credit: Archant
‘Community asset’ is handed back to the local council
The ownership of Seaton Town Hall is back where it belongs - with the people of the town, says mayor Tony Woodman
The transfer of the freehold interest of the building from East Devon District Council to the town council was completed last week.
Speaking at the ceremony Cllr Woodman, said: “Seaton Town Council is delighted to have secured the asset. “I am very pleased that the town hall is now back where it belongs, in the ownership of the people of Seaton.
“We must now all work together to make sure the building is a big success for all concerned.
You may also want to watch:
“I thank everyone involved in what has been a long process for their commitment and effort.
“It has shown the advantages of working together to a common goal.”
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 6 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 7 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 8 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Councillor Ian Thomas, portfolio holder for finance at East Devon District Council, said: “We are delighted that the transfer of this significant asset to Seaton Town Council has now been completed and confident that the new owners will secure its long-term future within the local community.
“My colleagues and I will continue to support the town council and its tenants, during the finalisation of the tenant lease agreements, to do all we can to make sure the transfer is successful on all levels.
“I should like to add personal thanks to all from Seaton Town Council, Seaton’s Voice, Seaton Museum and my East Devon District Council members and officer colleagues, for their positive approach and commitment to delivering this important transfer.”
Seaton Town Hall is a prominent building the town can be proud of and, with new tenants, The Seaton Gateway Theatre Company and Seaton Museum, the town council says it is looking forward to an exciting future ahead. The main principles of leases between Seaton Town Council and its tenants have already been agreed. Detailed legal documents are currently being drawn up, and are expected to be concluded shortly.