Sherpas win battle of the bands contest
East Devon band romps to competition victory.
THE future looks bright for a group of young musicians from East Devon after they won a battle of the bands competition.
The Sherpas, which is made up of Jonah Hitchens, Jake Daniel, Chris Tilke and James Fuke, won the title at this year’s Okehampton Battle of the Bands competition on Saturday, August 14.
The musicians, aged 13 and 15, made up the youngest group competing in the event and came in the top three of their heats.
Singer and guitarist Jonah Hitchens said: “Well, I have to say, it came as quite a shock, as the competition was very tough. I think at the end of the day any of the bands could have won it.
You may also want to watch:
They signed up for the competition after 13-year-old Jonah found out about the event on the internet.
However, a stroke of luck ensured the group reached the final after one of the bands pulled out of the competition.
- 1 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 2 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 3 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 4 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 5 Increase in hate crime across Devon and Cornwall
- 6 Honiton runners in the Studland Stampede
- 7 Jo’s family go the distance to support cancer charity
- 8 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
The Sherpas formed a year ago and describe their music as a rock and grunge sound.
As part of their prize, the band won a recording session at Aardvark Studios, a professional photo shoot and also get to make their own music video as well as play at the Chagstock music festival next year.
Drummer James Fuke also won performance of the night with his drum solo of Led Zeppelin tune Moby Dick.