Shorlisted: Village shops up for Rural Oscar
Broadhembury and Dalwood to battle it out for regional title.
Two village enterprises in East Devon have been shortlisted in the South West round of the 2011 Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the Rural Oscars.
Broadhembury Post Office and Dalwood Community Shop have been shortlisted in the village shop/post office category.
Regional winners will be announced in January.
In its seventh year, the awards scheme celebrates the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside.
You may also want to watch:
Alison Hawes, the Aliiance’s South West director, said: “These businesses represent the very best of the South West’s produce, enterprise and community spirit and I congratulate the finalists on getting this far in what is an increasingly competitive awards scheme.
“I am really looking forward to getting out and meeting the people behind each business and speaking to them about their valued contribution to our rural economy and communities.”
- 1 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 7 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption