Sidmouth Bowling Club open day
THERE is much more than one would imagine hidden behind the doors of Sidmouth Bowling Club s pavilion.
THERE is much more than one would imagine hidden behind the doors of Sidmouth Bowling Club's pavilion.
As well as spacious lounges, a kitchen and dining area and well-stocked bar, members can enjoy all-year-round bowling at its three full-sized indoor rinks.
Now Len Catford, the club's past chairman, is inviting those interested in taking up the relaxing sport, to join members for a coffee and chat at Coburg Terrace and have a go at indoor bowls, during a club open day on Sunday, September 20.
Social activities are a regular feature throughout the year, especially during darker evenings, and many stay on after their bowling days are over to enjoy the social side of things.
You may also want to watch:
Len said: "We like to encourage new membership and are trying to attract new members throughout the area through our open day.
"The lovely thing is we are much more than just a bowling club, there is tremendous friendship and very good indoor and outdoor bowling.
- 1 East Devon businesses 'doing utmost' to comply with covid regulations
- 2 New premises for treasured mental health charity
- 3 Latest news from Axe Cliff Golf Club
- 4 New homes and a new town centre as Cranbrook embraces the future
- 5 Phil Twiss retains Devon County Council seat
- 6 Marcus Hartnell wins Seaton and Colyton election
- 7 Snubbed! Lacemaker whose expertise was too good for the judges
- 8 Honiton U9s overjoyed to be playing competitive rugby once again
- 9 Laptops and tablet help primary school
- 10 Property of the Week: Corn Mill, Ottery St Mary
"So many people have moved to Sidmouth from up country, the Home Counties or London and don't know a soul. Or they don't get involved in things then lose their wife or husband.
"People see the bowling club as people dressed in white wearing funny hats, but there is a good fellowship here, people look after each other. It is fun and offers gentle exercise.
"We have a lot of associate members and quite a few who just play indoors," he said. "You are assured of a very warm welcome."
The club's open day event begins at 10am and ends at 12.30pm and, says Len: "Our coaching team will do all they can to help people get started.