Sidmouth Bowling Club open day
THERE is much more than one would imagine hidden behind the doors of Sidmouth Bowling Club s pavilion.
THERE is much more than one would imagine hidden behind the doors of Sidmouth Bowling Club's pavilion.
As well as spacious lounges, a kitchen and dining area and well-stocked bar, members can enjoy all-year-round bowling at its three full-sized indoor rinks.
Now Len Catford, the club's past chairman, is inviting those interested in taking up the relaxing sport, to join members for a coffee and chat at Coburg Terrace and have a go at indoor bowls, during a club open day on Sunday, September 20.
Social activities are a regular feature throughout the year, especially during darker evenings, and many stay on after their bowling days are over to enjoy the social side of things.
Len said: "We like to encourage new membership and are trying to attract new members throughout the area through our open day.
"The lovely thing is we are much more than just a bowling club, there is tremendous friendship and very good indoor and outdoor bowling.
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 River Cottage Kitchen now open again at out-of-town HQ
- 3 Pub of the year Axminster Inn crowned
- 4 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 5 Honiton author release new sci-fi drama book
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 8 Date reportedly set for Tiverton and Honiton by-election
- 9 Talaton gardens re-opens for the summer
- 10 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
"So many people have moved to Sidmouth from up country, the Home Counties or London and don't know a soul. Or they don't get involved in things then lose their wife or husband.
"People see the bowling club as people dressed in white wearing funny hats, but there is a good fellowship here, people look after each other. It is fun and offers gentle exercise.
"We have a lot of associate members and quite a few who just play indoors," he said. "You are assured of a very warm welcome."
The club's open day event begins at 10am and ends at 12.30pm and, says Len: "Our coaching team will do all they can to help people get started.