Sidmouth’s Boxing Day Swim - pictures
- Credit: Archant
The festive season in East Devon always sees the more daring among us to rush into the sea. See our pictures from Sidmouth on Boxing Day.
Scores of people took a dip in the sea to enjoy Sidmouth’s Boxing Day Swim.
And there was a bumper turnout for the fun, with many hardy swimmers donning eye-catching fancy dress.
The swim, which is always dependent on the weather, first began in 1985 and is a hugely popular part of Christmas in Sidmouth.
Oliver Salter, who is part of the Sidmouth Regatta and Boxing Day Swim Committee, said: “It was really good. There was almost 450 swimmers and the seafront was packed. We were worried about the weather but we knew there was a weather window and we made the decision at half nine.”
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Lifeboat and Sidmouth Surf Life Saving Club provided on-the-water cover for the duration of the swim.
The Sidmouth branch of the RNLI collected funds and donations will also be made to Sidmouth Lifeboat, the surf lifesaving club and St John Ambulance.
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 6 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Photos by Terry Ife.