Smoke from frying pan leads to 999 calls

PUBLISHED: 09:55 30 June 2011

Archant

Three fire appliances sent to an address in Ottery St Mary.

Fire and rescue crews from Honiton, Ottery St Mary and Exeter attended an address in Mill Street, Ottery, yesterday (Wednesday) teatime after smoke was seen coming from the upstairs of the house.

Firefighters discovered smoke and the smell of burning and two members of the crew, wearing breathing apparatus, went into the property to locate the source.

A frying pan was found to be the cause of the smoke and a fire was tackling using a hose reel, a thermal imaging camera and small tools.

A spokesman for the fire and rescue service said natural ventilation was used to clear the house of smoke.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald