Smoke from frying pan leads to 999 calls

Three fire appliances sent to an address in Ottery St Mary.

Fire and rescue crews from Honiton, Ottery St Mary and Exeter attended an address in Mill Street, Ottery, yesterday (Wednesday) teatime after smoke was seen coming from the upstairs of the house.

Firefighters discovered smoke and the smell of burning and two members of the crew, wearing breathing apparatus, went into the property to locate the source.

A frying pan was found to be the cause of the smoke and a fire was tackling using a hose reel, a thermal imaging camera and small tools.

A spokesman for the fire and rescue service said natural ventilation was used to clear the house of smoke.