Snow and ice continue to affect refuse collections
EAST Devon s refuse and recycling collections have been severely disrupted due to the weather conditions, with 26 tonne refuse vehicles unable to access many rural areas.
EAST Devon's refuse and recycling collections have been severely disrupted due to the weather conditions, with 26 tonne refuse vehicles unable to access many rural areas. In addition, landfill tips have been closed and conditions have been considered too dangerous for the collectors.
The matter has been made worse by the fact that the Christmas collection schedule has meant some areas have not had the collection they would normally expect.
Paul Deakin, East Devon District Council's Waste and Recycling Manager, said: "EDDC, like all councils across the country, faces very challenging circumstances.
"The weather is extreme and, in view of the icy conditions, safety is the number one priority.
You may also want to watch:
"As a result, decisions are being made daily as to whether it is safe to operate refuse and recycling collections when rural and residential roads are difficult to access.
"Unfortunately we are aware that, for a number of households, it means their waste has not been emptied on more than one occasion.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 3 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 4 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 5 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 6 Have your say on future development of village
- 7 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 8 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 9 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
"We ask residents to bear with us and to put out their waste on the next collection day. As the cold snap may continue the situation is being reviewed daily and, if the icy weather continues, emergency measures may have to be considered.
"We reviewed the situation on Friday 8 January and felt the best option was to abandon the Christmas schedule and revert to the normal collection days, which we hope will get collections back on track for the future. We have attempted to clear some of the backlog but there is a restriction on the number of vehicles that are available."
"We would urge anyone who is not sure of the current situation to look at our website www.eastdevon.gov.uk for up-to-date information.