South West economy to be scrutinised by ministers
FIFTY Government ministers will debate the South West s economy at a Devon County Council summit on Thursday.
FIFTY Government ministers will debate the South West's economy at a Devon County Council summit on Thursday.
The South West Regional Grand Committee will meet at the Council's chambers between 10.30 and 1pm and will debate 'The response to the economic downturn: tackling unemployment'.
This will be the first time that a Regional Grand Committee has held a debate at a location in England outside of London.
Devon County Council will be providing information about the Devon economy and the strategies in place which are currently helping the county through the economic recession.
You may also want to watch:
These include Support for Credit Unions and Citizen's Advice to make sure people are able to borrow money safely and get the benefits to which they are entitled.
The Holiday at Home campaign - encouraging people to take a break in Devon
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 3 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 6 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 7 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 8 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 9 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 10 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching
Support for projects such as Sky Park and the Science Park continues helped by the council's partners in the East of Exeter growth point.
Future jobs Fund - A proposal has been submitted for 157 new jobs in Devon.
Devon Business Angels - bringing together small companies wanting to grow and individual investors who have skills and expertise that can help those small companies develop.
The roll out of Broadband - The council is currently carrying out a survey to find out the hot spots and the 'not-spots' of the county.
Seminars for rural shop keepers to help market, promote and grow their business.
Financial and business support for post offices to prevent rural post office closures.
Cabinet member for Economic Regeneration and Strategic Planning, William Mumford says; "We welcome the members of the Regional Committee and the debate taking place on Thursday.
"It's an excellent opportunity for a group of influential MPs to look at the economic situation in the South West and see for themselves some of the strategies happening here which are helping to support the local economy.
"We are committed to supporting businesses and residents through these difficult times and hope to share some of our good practices with the group.