Strictly not for the birds
Colyton parish stages its latest scarecrow festival on an Olympic theme
Colyton parish was no place for winged visitors last week when residents staged another scarecrow festival.
The Olympic Games provided the theme for this year’s event and entries included straw-stuffed athletes running, jumping and even taking part in synchronised swimming.
The intrepid competitors braved the wind and rain all last week, showing true spirit of The Games.
The competition was judged by John and Vicky Mills, of Colyford, and Rector Rev Hilary Dawson, of Colyton.
You may also want to watch:
The winners were announced and the prizes given at St Andrew’s Church on Saturday (July 7).
Winners and runners up were:
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 7 School embraces reading challenge
- 8 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 9 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
Under 15: 1 Hollie Coleman (diving), 2 Rupert Gaukroger (weightlifting). Children’s organisation: 1 Colyton Primary School (gymnastics), 2 Colyton Rainbows (synchronised swimming) and Colyton Caterpillars (surfing).
Adult: 1 Martyn Champion (high jump). Business or organisation: 1 Colyford WI (ladies’ tennis). Special mention for fun and originality: Collingwood family (torchbearer).