STRIKE: What you think!
Residents get behind the public sector workers out on strike.
EAST DEVON residents have come out in support for the public sector workers out on strike across the district today (Wednesday) over changes to their pensions.
The one-day strike action has forced many schools across the district to close including Honiton Community College.
Many people expressed their support for those out on strike while others questioned if it was the best way to deal with the situation.
Pensioner, Ray Griffin, of Honiton, said: “I am in support of those out on strike.
“It is not right. Not only are the Government attacking pensions it is attacking the working class.
“Taking strike action is the only way the public sector workers can make their point.”
- 1 Towns join forces to promote green tourism
- 2 Gittsham motorist 'so drunk he had to be carried out of car'
- 3 Axminster vehicle extravaganza hailed 'great day out'
- 4 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 5 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 6 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 7 Historic charter day back in Honiton this July
- 8 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 9 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
- 10 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
Trudi Jones, 36, of Honiton, said: “I agree with why the public sector workers going out on strike but on the flip side, for me as a parent, I’ve had to have the children at home.
“As a parent you think why are they going out on strike - look at the big picture.
“I’ve had to find things for the children to do.”
David Garland, 71, of Ottery St Mary, said: “Those out on strike need to take into consideration the poor private sector pensions.
“I don’t think taking strike action is the best way to make their point - talking is always better.
“I am not in support.”
Rob Pollard, 53, of Honiton, said: “Going out on strike is probably not the right way to make things happen.
“There are too many people in dire straights at the moment.
“I can see where the strikers are coming from.
“If they can strike a blow for public sector workers all well and good.
“If I was in their position I probably would go out on strike.”
Julie Metheringham, 44, of Honiton, said: “It is good if they are doing it for the right reasons.
“I think the Government needs to think more about the people.
“I am behind the strikers - I don’t think their pensions should be affected.
“Public sector workers are worth their weight in gold.
“They don’t get recognised enough for the work they do.”
Tell us what you think by commenting on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org