Tar Barrels explosion: Face blast man's burns 'were like something out of a horror film'
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the idiot whose actions left his face looking like something out of a horror film .
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a Tar Barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and urged the public to help find the "idiot" whose actions left his face looking like "something out of a horror film".
Ian Chown, 23, is now recovering at home from first and second degree burns, but feared last Thursday he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned to terror.
A police hunt is underway to find the "mindless moron" who threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian's head was engulfed in a fireball which came from the resulting blast last Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was initially feared his injuries were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, Ian was told by medics his burns are superficial, and he is hopeful of making a full recovery.
- 1 Honiton supermarket reopens bigger and better
- 2 Town's extended Aldi store open again for shoppers
- 3 Have your say on shape of future town development
- 4 Seaton salutes its green-fingered garden winners
- 5 Bikers take the limelight at Wiscombe Park
- 6 Drama club rewarded for Christmas show that proved a winner
- 7 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 8 Nursing home enjoys great outdoors with family barbecue
- 9 Violent thug jailed after violent attack in supermarket
- 10 Lions defy effects of pandemic and give £17,000 to good causes
He told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read more of Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald.