Teacher’s eye-opening visit to Westminster
Colyton Grammar School teacher witnesses politics in action.
A teacher from Honiton has been learning lessons in politics after an eye-opening visit to Westminster.
Chris Harris, a politics teacher at Colyton Grammar School, recently joined 30 teachers from across the UK to spend five days in the House of Commons - meeting many key parliamentary figures including the speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow.
Mr Harris said the opportunity to meet the Select Committee responsible for Education, as well as listening to talks given by leading experts was an experience that would “enhance teaching and learning in the subject considerably”.
He also said the trip was a “once in a lifetime opportunity” and an “eye-opening” experience. The highlight of Mr Harris’ visit was being present at Prime Minister’s Question Time, which he watched from the gallery first hand.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “What really came across in Parliament was how passionate and dedicated the MPs are to their job, especially when it comes to trying to reconnect with the public.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 3 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 MP gets a flavour of community food project's new base
- 7 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
- 8 School embraces reading challenge
- 9 Ashley and Kate win prestigious organic farming accolade
- 10 Seaton tourist attraction to stay closed to the public