Teenagers aim to raise funds for YMCA with cake sale in Honiton
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters on the National Citizen Service are aiming to support the work of the YMCA to help homeless people.
A group of teenagers will be hosting a cake sale in Honiton to raise money for the YMCA.
The fundraiser is part of the National Citizen Service (NCS), which is aimed at 15-17-year-olds to discover who they are and what they can do.
The group, who all took their GCSEs this year, have been taking part in a range of activities over a period of four weeks, which included an outward-bound course in Newquay and hearing talks from a range of speakers in a university setting.
They have been working on a project to support their community and have identified homelessness as an area that deserves their attention.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the group said the youngsters were taking part in the scheme because they care about their communities.
She said: "That is why a group of 15 teenagers have got together and decided to launch a fundraising initiative in order to support those in our communities who are homeless and need our help.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 Have your say on future development of village
- 4 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 5 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 6 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 7 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 10 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
"From cake sales to games nights and sponsored silences, we have been working for two weeks with a target of raising £500 for YMCA Exeter, which actively looks for opportunities to make a transformative impact on young lives."
The group will be holding a cake sale outside St Paul's Church, Honiton, on Tuesday, August 13, 10am-4pm.
The group is also hosting a games night, along with other fundraisers at Honiton Youth Club 6.30pm-9pm.
If anyone would like to donate to the cause, they can do so on the group's Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charlotte-varley4