Thorncombe WI celebrates its 95th birthday
Members cut a special iced cake to celebrate their milestone
Members of Thorncombe WI cut a special birthday cake to celebrate their 95th anniversary.
They were joined by friends from Chideock, Broadwindsor and Blackdown WIs for a supper party to mark the milestone.
Speaker for the evening, Gavin Haig, then entertained the gathering with his talk, ‘Trials and tribulations of being a surgeon.”
He had his captivated audience in stitches - of laughter - as he explained his vocational journey from being accepted at ‘Barts’ as a medical student through to qualifying as a surgeon.
He then spoke about some of the surgical procedures he had carried out at various hospitals and enthralled members by his amusing and poignant tales about the different characters he encountered from patients to work colleagues.
A splendid evening concluded with the cutting of a lovely iced, rich fruit birthday cake, kindly made by Thorncombe member Margaret Retter.
- 1 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 2 Upheaval at Honiton Town Council as six members walk out of meeting and resign
- 3 'People are now too smart to fall for Tory culture wars...'
- 4 Property of the Week: Thorn Cottage, Stockland
- 5 Met office weather warning for fog TONIGHT
- 6 Sophie sacrifices waist-length hair for charity
- 7 Chris reminisces on his earliest memories from the 1980s
- 8 Missing 21 year old from Honiton FOUND
- 9 Four Devon locations make 'worst places to live' list for 2022
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance Helicopter in need of repair following an emergency mission to Dartmoor
At the next meeting in the village hall, on November 13, at 2.30pm, Anthony Castleton will give a talk entitled ‘Living with blindness’.
Members should take along their favourite perfume for the competition at this is an afternoon meeting.