Three of the world’s top five ranked cyclists competing in Tour of Britain’s Devon stage
- Credit: Archant
Three of the world’s top five-ranked riders will be competing in Devon next Monday.
The 2018 OVO Energy Tour of Britain, the fifteenth edition of the modern race, will feature its strongest ever field.
The Tour starts on Sunday September 2, with the Devon Stage 2 taking place on Monday September 3.
The stage is being hosted by Devon County Council and supported by East Devon District Council and North Devon Council, starting in Cranbrook and finishing in Barnstaple.
Britain’s most successful Grand Tour rider Chris Froome (reigning world number two) and his Team Sky team-mate Geraint Thomas (world number five) headline the start list, having claimed overall victory in this year’s Giro d’Italia and Tour de France respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Frenchman Julian Alaphilippe (Quick-Step Floors, world number four) will make his debut in the race, having won two stages of this year’s Tour de France and the race’s prestigious King of the Mountains jersey.
He has only previously raced once in Britain, finishing third in the 2014 edition of Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The start list also features Slovenian Primoz Roglic (Team LottoNL-Jumbo, fourth overall in this year’s Tour de France), Colombian Fernando Gaviria and Germany’s Max Schachmann (both Quick-Step Floors), all of whom have won Grand Tour stages in 2018.
Gaviria has previously enjoyed success in the OVO Energy Tour of Britain, claiming stage wins in Blythe in 2015 and Newark-on-Trent last year.
Also among the starters are former OVO Energy Tour of Britain stage victors André Greipel (Lotto Soudal, five wins), Caleb Ewan (Mitchelton-SCOTT, four), Wout Poels (Team Sky, three), Mark Renshaw (Team Dimension Data, two), Alex Dowsett (Team KATUSHA ALPECIN, one), Ben Swift (Great Britain, one) Ian Stannard (Team Sky, one) and Tony Martin (Team KATUSHA ALPECIN, one).
The startlist also features two current national road race champions, including British champion Connor Swift (Madison Genesis), who is relishing the opportunity to wear the red, white and blue jersey in the eight-day race. Connor’s Exeter-born teammate George Pym will also be competing in his second Tour of Britain.