Time to protest over water charges?
South West water has got a monopoly and reader is aghast at annual bill increase of 9.7 per cent.
This week I received in the post my water rate bill for the coming year,
I was expecting a modest rise of about 5.1 per cent - this is what South West Water had announced on the TV, in the papers and on their website. However, to my utter amazement, my water bill has gone up by 9.7 per cent.
This is more that twice the rate of inflation. My water bill is now more than �922 per year.
I don’t live in a big, fancy house; it’s a small semi. How can South West Water justify an increase of more than �82 in one year?
You may also want to watch:
In a few weeks, they will once again announce record profits, the CEO will get his usual big bonus and all the share holders will be rubbing their hands together at the wonderful dividends from their share and we will be paying for it.
If we do nothing about this now, next year will be worse and soon we will be paying more for water than we pay in council tax.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 3 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 6 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
- 9 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 10 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
I say we should all write to our MP, complain to Ofwat and complain to South West Water. They might get the message.