Top athletes inspiring big interest in cycling
Axminster businessman hopes to encourage more people to get involved in the sport.
A keen cyclist and businessman in Axminster is hoping to encourage more people to get involved in the sport and sees it growing even more popular following the recent success of British cyclists on the international stage.
David Darby, of Cycling Components, which specialises in customised road bikes, says he has seen cycling growing more and more popular over the past five years.
“Now is the time to get more people out on bikes and enjoying the lovely sport and the social benefits it can bring,” he says.
“It is a fantastic sport - it is great socially and for health and fitness. It is not just younger people who can get involved but everybody and anybody.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We are seeing an increase in road bikes because young people are seeing the likes of Bradley Wiggins, Victoria Pendleton and Mark Cavendish.”
David told the Midweek Herald that the sport’s popularity has been helped especially by British cycling champion Bradley Wiggins who recently won the Tour De France.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 3 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 MP gets a flavour of community food project's new base
- 7 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
- 8 School embraces reading challenge
- 9 Ashley and Kate win prestigious organic farming accolade
- 10 Runner-up spot for Honiton team
He said: “Without doubt, I see cycling getting more popular.”
David says he would love to encourage more young people to get involved in cycling and even competitive events in the future.