Top athletes inspiring big interest in cycling
Axminster businessman hopes to encourage more people to get involved in the sport.
A keen cyclist and businessman in Axminster is hoping to encourage more people to get involved in the sport and sees it growing even more popular following the recent success of British cyclists on the international stage.
David Darby, of Cycling Components, which specialises in customised road bikes, says he has seen cycling growing more and more popular over the past five years.
“Now is the time to get more people out on bikes and enjoying the lovely sport and the social benefits it can bring,” he says.
“It is a fantastic sport - it is great socially and for health and fitness. It is not just younger people who can get involved but everybody and anybody.”
He added: “We are seeing an increase in road bikes because young people are seeing the likes of Bradley Wiggins, Victoria Pendleton and Mark Cavendish.”
David told the Midweek Herald that the sport’s popularity has been helped especially by British cycling champion Bradley Wiggins who recently won the Tour De France.
- 1 Devon model railway manufacturer expands factory space to keep up with demand
- 2 Mum-to-be's relaxing holiday ends in baby being delivered at Devon resort
- 3 Campsite bid for farm to boost business
- 4 Five-year-old girl dies after road accident near Honiton
- 5 New homes released for sale in Seaton with help available for first time buyers
- 6 Information sought on fly-tipping incident in Honiton
- 7 Careless charity shop donors are costing Devon Air Ambulance money
- 8 Honiton slip to home defeat against brilliant Bovey
- 9 Dramatic departure of six Honiton councillors after council tax vote
- 10 New £60,000 funding for Honiton play park
He said: “Without doubt, I see cycling getting more popular.”
David says he would love to encourage more young people to get involved in cycling and even competitive events in the future.