Planners discuss amended scheme for 85-home development in Honiton
PUBLISHED: 11:30 20 July 2017 | UPDATED: 08:57 26 July 2017
Baker Estates want to build the homes - the first phase of a 300-home development - on land between Honiton and Gittisham.
Amended plans for the first phase of a 300-home development on land between Honiton and Gittisham have again been discussed by town planners.
Earlier this year, Honiton Town Council’s planning committee debated Baker Estates’ proposals to build 85 homes on land between Honiton and Gittisham, with 22 to be affordable units.
Ian Baker, Graham Hutton and Tom Biddle, of Baker Estates, returned to the committee’s meeting on Monday evening (July 17) to present the amended proposal to town planners.
They also urged planners to speak in support of them at a meeting of East Devon District Council’s development management committee on August 7.
Mr Biddle, development planner at Baker Estates, said: “The changes that have come about as the result of the last meeting are very minor.
“Its things like additional trees along the main road which have gone in – additional landscaping to make the difference from the outset.
“Its things like relocation of windows where we have parking areas… and different road surfaces on certain junction arrangement to make sure we have that shared surface space.”
Mr Baker, the company’s managing director, added there would be a greater provision of street lighting in the development, adding: “Additional streetlights have been requested and we have conceded that point because none of them are cheap and there are quite a number of them.
“There will be an awful lot of street lighting to the satisfaction of Devon County Council.”
Graham Hutton, technical director at Baker Estates, reiterated there are no plans to open up Old Elm Road in Honiton – a suggestion which was made by the planning committee when they debated the plans in May.
Cllr John Zarczynski questioned why the road couldn’t be opened up.
“It just makes sense because it would mean the traffic has two choices to come in and out,” he said.
“Also if you come out in out Old Elm Road, it brings you to the big roundabout by Tesco which is a safe exit.
“By keeping that closed, you only have one route in and out.”
Mr Baker said it was not within the company’s gift to open the road, and told the meeting residents of the road were ‘quite against’ it being opened.
He added: “We want to be a good neighbour. Hopefully you can see from our approach that we are desperate to engage with councils and people who are most affected.
“We are desperate to hear their point of view and try and explain how our development will be, so it is more of a collaborative process and just banging in an application.”
As previously reported by the Herald, Baker Estate’s application is for an initial 85 homes, which will include a range of sensitively designed two to four-bedroom terraced, semidetached and detached open market properties.
The company says the homes have been sensitively designed to complement the existing surroundings, and public spaces will be landscaped to create an attractive living environment, alongside an equipped play area and allotments.
The plans will be determined by East Devon District Council’s development management committee in the morning of August 7.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.