Town poll: Marion Olive urged electorate to vote 'no'
WE do not need a town poll. The words of district councillor Marion Olive, who told a meeting of electors that the economic climate is not a good reason to delay the development of a community centre in Honiton.
WE do not need a town poll." The words of district councillor Marion Olive, who told a meeting of electors that the economic climate is not a good reason to delay the development of a community centre in Honiton.
She said there were compelling reasons to go ahead and stressed East Devon District Council had always said it would replace 42 car parking spaces lost through the development.
Councillor Olive said residents have had countless opportunities to express their views.
She cited the MCTi consultation, a survey in the Talk of the Town newsletter, three events in the Mackarness Hall and an exhibition at the library.
You may also want to watch:
"The need for a community centre has been recognised in the district plan for many years," she said.
Referring to cash spent so far, she said: "That money has been well spent; it has not been wasted. We have not got the chance to reap the rewards of that money.
- 1 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 2 Thug jailed for violent bottle attack at Seaton Tesco
- 3 Dark day for Millwey Rise
- 4 Cafe boss bounces back after adapting to impact of virus
- 5 Wedding venue team goes extra mile for customers
- 6 Community group invites people to volunteers fayre
- 7 Benefit cheat 'too disabled to move' filmed shopping in Axminster
- 8 Flying start for the Axminster Tigers
- 9 Lottery millionaire helps support big beach clean-up
- 10 Double aces at Axe Cliff Golf Club
"She should not waste �2,000 of taxpayers' money on a town poll."
Extensive coverage of the meeting is published in tomorrow's Midweek Herald.