UPDATE: clifftop road now closed
Calls for Old Beer Road at Seaton to be closed immediately after alarming cracks appeared
The Old Beer Road at Seaton has now been closed following the appearance of deep cracks.
A Devon County Council spokesman said it would remain shut while they assess the damage caused to the clifftop highway.
Earlier residents expressed fears the road was in imminent danger of collapsing into the sea.
Cracks first appeared in the highway, near Seaton Hole, yesterday (Wednesday), following recent heavy rains.
By this morning they were considerably wider and deeper.
Local resident Bob Spalding told The Herald: “It’s going to go.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 3 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Seaton's 'Hub Elves' replace loneliness with Christmas cheer
- 6 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 7 Green team monitor water quality levels after pollution fears
- 8 Internal bowls battle in national competition
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
“I first phoned the county council about it at 8.30am yesterday and the situation has deteriorated much overnight.
“It is right next to the cliff edge and when you look back from Beer you can see some of the shrubbery is falling away and it is beginning to go.
“As of 30 minutes ago the road was still open to cars and my main concern is that it could go at any time and anyone in the vicinity could go with it. I also believe there may be a gas main running through there.
“This road should be closed.”