UPDATE: Don’t get taken to the cleaners
Firm featured on Rogue Traders is cold calling householders in Axminster and Honiton. Devon Trading Standards offer basic advice.
A carpet cleaning company, which was featured on the BBC’s Rogue Traders programme, is cold calling residents in Axminster and Honiton, it has emerged today (Friday).
Concerned householders have contacted the Midweek Herald to say they have been approached by Enterprise Cleaning Services, of Wimborne, Dorset.
They said the company has offered to clean carpets in two rooms for �8.99.
According to Rogue Traders, Enterprise Cleaning Services operates a “bait and switch” sales pitch.
You may also want to watch:
The programme alleges customers are talked into buying more expensive cleaning services after accepting the initial offer.
A Honiton pensioner told the Herald: “It sounds like an amazing offer - too good to be true. I watched the Rogue Traders programme, so I wasn’t caught out.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 7 School embraces reading challenge
- 8 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 9 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
The Midweek Herald has been unable to contact Enterprise Cleaning Services.
Peter Greene, of Devon Trading Standards, said: “People can be drawn in by an offer of a product at a very low price.
“Generally, with bait and switch, you will find that product is not available.
“Bait and switch promotions have been banned under consumer protection regulations for some time across Europe.”
Mr Greene added: “Our advice would be never to deal with people who cold call - either at the door or on the telephone.
“Just politely decline.
“If you want your carpets cleaned, why not consider using our Buy With Confidence scheme?
“We have hundreds of members, including a number of carpet cleaners.”
You can find out more about Buy With Confidence at your local library, by calling Consumer Direct on 08454 040506 or by visiting www.devon.gov.uk